Friday, April 1, 2011

Time away



It has been a while since I have blogged For the past four months I was living in China while my husband worked on a movie there called THE MAN WITH THE IRON FISTS. We shared an apartment in Songjien, which is about 40 minutes outside of Shanghai and it was like living on another planet. While I was there, I did manage to paint two new surreal paintings and I also did a couple of murals for the movie as well. The movie was written by, directed by and stars RZA of the Wootang Clan and musical genius of the KILL BILL movies as well. The paintings I did while in China certainly were byproducts of moving there and soaking in the environment and thinking about the USA from afar. The paintings are definitely reflective of my spiritual journey there.
The first one I painted while in China was called The Good Life, inspired by the subject's tattoo translation, but it evolved into so much more. The way the Chinese are living right now- absolute bulldozing of trees and endless high rises parked closely to one another sitting in a thick fog of smog. The Good Lfe is ironic and shows the ghosty high rise structure overcoming dead and lifeless trees. The spirit is what lives on and the strength and vision.
The next painting I made was called: HOME SWEET HOME and it is a statement on the past way of life dwindling and being firmly placed in the past and the strength and power shifts of the men and women here, the elusive notions of the American dream and the effects of corporate greed on family and freedom. I hope you enjoy these paintings.

No comments:

Post a Comment